Friday 31 May 2013

When Animals Rescue Us

Never underestimate the healing power of animals! Sometimes, we think we are rescuing animals, but they are really rescuing us. 




The Canadian Foundation for Animal Assisted Support Services partners people struggling with physical, emotional, and social challenges with companion animals. There is one heartwarming story after another on their Storytelling Page of how an adopted pet helped someone overcome a life challenge. 

One girl overcame her stutter because she was motivated to train her SPCA-rescued dog. "In the second class the instructor told me that my dog would never learn as he could not understand me. I was told to speak clear. I was very upset, as I wanted to speak clear and I wanted my little Timi to learn. The next week I came back and to everyone’s surprise I was speaking very clear, giving clear commands and praising my dog just the way my instructor Paul told me to. I was so happy! My dog came first in the class."

A man who was blind and deaf from Usher Syndrome gained his independence back from a guide dog named Nemo. "Usher Syndrome is a condition that takes away your hearing early in life and your vision later in life. I was diagnosed at the age of 32. My life was turned upside down. I lost my job, driver’s license and hobby refereeing." Now Nemo accompanies him wherever he goes and he is currently an international speed skater. 

When asked why being an Animal Wellness Ambassador is important, the Canadian Foundation for Animal Assisted Support Services explained, "Our vision is to be the philanthropic leader that sustains the innovation, coordination, and integration of Animal-Assisted Support Services within Canada's health-care, social service, and justice sectors in order to improve the quality of life of people with physical, emotional, and social challenges. Being an Ambassador is important because we are indebted to all the wonderful animals in our lives and represented in organizations across Canada."

Pets teach us so much and ask for so little- they deserve nothing less than the best of what we have to give so they too can experience love for just being.

For more information about Animal Assisted Support Services, Click Here.

Want to get involved? Learn about the Ambassador Program on our website! animalwellnessmagazine.com


No comments:

Post a Comment